The deadline for the 2018 Young Artists competition is Saturday, November 18, 2017.
Click here to view the 2018 Young Artists flyer. (Note: concert dates have been changed to March 16 & 17, not March 9 & 10 as was listed on the original flyer.)
Winners of the Young Artist competition will have the opportunity to perform as soloist with the Coeur d’Alene Symphony. There are five categories: High School Instrumental, College Strings, College Piano, Colleges Winds/Percussion, and Vocals.
Applicants will submit an application and recorded audition via CD, DVD, or other online means (details given below).
Contestants from each category will be selected to compete in the final round of live auditions on January 6, 2018 at Whitworth University in Spokane, WA. Notifications for the final round will be sent out via email in December. The winners from the final round will perform in two concerts with the Coeur d’Alene Symphony. Please note that for the Winners Concert, each musician is expected to perform the same piece he/she performed for the final round live auditions. (Exceptions or changes may be made at the discretion of the Artistic Director if orchestration proves difficult to obtain.)
The judges reserve the right to combine divisions or not choose finalists or winners in a division. There will be one winner from each division. Each winner will receive a solo performance in two concerts with the Coeur d’Alene Symphony, along with a monetary prize of $750 (to be awarded at the concerts). There may be a Second Place prize awarded at the judges’ discretion. Second Place winners will be asked to perform in the Winners Concert if the First Place winner is unavailable. There is no monetary prize awarded in such cases. High School Second Place winners may have a chance to perform in the summer concerts.
Eligibility and Divisions
High School Instrumental (up to age 18)
College Winds/Brass/Percussion (age 18-27)
College Strings (age 18-27)
College Piano (age 18-27)
Vocals (up to age 35)
College applicants do not need to be currently enrolled as long as they are in the proper age group.
Important Dates and Information
Completed application and entry fee postmarked or submitted online by Saturday, November 18, 2017.
Finals will be held on January 6, 2018.
300 W Hawthorne Rd
Spokane, WA 99218
The Winners Concerts will be held on March 16 and 17, 2018.
Salvation Army Kroc Center
1765 W Golf Course Rd
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815
- String and Vocal repertoire must be in the public domain and available for purchase. Wind and Percussion contestants are also highly encouraged to choose public domain repertoire, though exceptions can be made by request. If you have a question about music availability, please contact Mr. Chris Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the final round, total allowable time for instrumentalists is 12 minutes, 10 for vocalists. In the Winners Concerts, you will be allowed to play a full movement of your piece or up to 15 minutes.
- For the Winners Concert, each musician is expected to play the same piece he/she performed for the final round live auditions. (Exceptions or changes may be made at the discretion of the Artistic Director if orchestration proves difficult to obtain.)
- Submissions for the preliminary recorded round may be unaccompanied, but it is HIGHLY recommended to have accompaniment for the final round. A list of accompanists can be provided by the symphony upon request.
- Memorization is not required; however it can make a difference in final scoring during the judges’ decisions.
Application, Fees and Contact Information
Online Application (Preferred)
- Fill out the form here and upload your audio audition file (MP3 or MP4 format only, up to 25MB) or give a link to your YouTube video.
- Formats other than MP3 or MP4 may result in the judges being unable to open the submission.
- For file sizes larger than 25MB, consider either uploading to YouTube and sending a link, or submitting via CD or DVD.
- Click the Paypal button to pay your $40.00 Application
Mail-In Application (Optional)
- Download the PDF form here.
- Include a check for $40.00 made out to the Coeur d’Alene Symphony
- Mail to:
Mr. Chris Grant, Orchestra Manager
c/o Coeur d’Alene Symphony
P.O. Box 898
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815
Questions about repertoire, rules or eligibility? Need more information?
Email Mr. Chris Grant, Orchestra Manager at email@example.com